Prof. Dr. med. Joachim Gilsbach, M.D.
We are glad to welcome Prof. Dr. med. Joachim Michael Kaspar Gilsbach as neurosurgical consultant at Beta Klinik.
Prof. Gilsbach has its roots and mentality from the Saarland in the south of Germany. He was born into a family of physicians and businessmen. Initially, he wanted to become a neurologist but early discovered his inclination towards surgery as a medical assistant in a praxis for handsurgery of Dr. Blandtfort.
Changing from neurology lead him more or less accidentally to Giessen in the neurosurgical faculty of Prof. H.-W. Pia, one of the most famous neurosurgeons of the 1970ies and 1980ies, where he received his first neurosurgical ‘mark’. From Giessen he followed his senior physician Prof. W. Seeger to Freiburg in the Breisgau, where he became first senior physician at the age of 32. His second ‘mark’ lasted 13 years and primarily dealt with a microsurgical neurosurgery, whose most important German agent was Prof. Seeger. He learned the artwork of science and of the application of neurosurgical instruments. After taking over the chair of neurosurgery at University Hospital Aachen, the hospital was ‘marked’ by Prof. Gilsbach´s function-preserving microneurosurgery. The good conditions at Aachen, the special three country structure alike the Saarland, good colleague relations and many interdisciplinary activities were the reason for rejecting the professorship at Medical University Hannover.
After 33 years in a leading position, 13 as leading senior physician in Freiburg and more than 20 years as the Director of the Neurosurgical Faculty of the University Hospital Aachen, Prof. Gilsbach devotes himself to new tasks. From now on, he does apply his knowledge and experience as consultant neurosurgeon both in counseling and operating.
- Date of birth: 1945-10-30 in Sulzbach/Saar (at that time French occupied zone of Germany)
- Medical education: 1964-1969: Medical School, Saarland University, Germany and Innsbruck University, Austria
- Medical exam: 1969-12-05 in Medical Faculty, Saarland University, Homburg/Saar, Germany
- Approbation: 1970-12-31
- Promotion (M.D.): 1972-04-13 Medical Faculty, Saarland University, Germany
- Medical training: 1971-03-31 until 1971-12-31: Neurology and psychiatry, Private Hospital for psychiatric diseases, Dr. Landerer & Soehne, Christophsbad, Goeppingen, Germany
- 1972-01-01 until 1971-03-31: Military service as medical doctor (Stabsarzt)
- 1972-04-01 until 1976-1-31: Neurosurgery at the Neurosurgical Department, Medical Faculty, Giessen University, Germany, Head: Prof. Dr. Dr. hc. H.-W. Pia1976-02-01 until 1977-08-17: Neurosurgery at the Department of General Neurosurgery, Medical Faculty, Freiburg University, Head and professor Prof. Dr. W. Seeger
- Board certification: 1977-3-4 Neurosurgeon
- Consultant (“Oberarzt”): 1977-8-18 until 1989-7-31 Department of General Neurosurgery, Medical Faculty, Freiburg University
- Habilitation: 1983-10-27 ‘Intraoperative Doppler sonography in neurovascular surgery’. Neurosurgical Department, Medical School, Freiburg University, Germany
- Professorship (C2): 1984-09-03 until 1989-07-31 Assistant Professor, Department of General Neurosurgery, Medical Faculty, Freiburg University, Germany
- Professorship (C4): from 1989-08-01 until 2009-12-31 Professor and head of the Department of Neurosurgery, Medical Faculty, Aachen University of Technology
- Special interests: ‘Function preserving Neurosurgery': neurovascular, skull base, neuronavigation, minimally invasive procedures
- Publications: 275 articles in peer reviewed journals as co-author and author
- Functions in the past: Chairman of the committee for education and training of the German Society of Neurosurgery, speaker of the interdisciplinary research centre ‘Central nervous system’ in Aachen, Medical Faculty, chairman of the local cancer registry
- Family: Married with an anesthesiologist, one daughter
- Hobbies: Golf, sailing, neurosurgery